If you’re a gamer, you know that a keyboard can be the difference between a good game and a great game. It is usually sad when you have the experience and expertise you need to beat your opponents but get floored because your keyboard lets you down.
Well, it’s time to level up with keyboards specially designed to give you the best gaming experience money can buy. So whether you’re a budding or experienced gamer, your gaming experience is sure to improve.
Below, we explore what you should look out for in a gaming keyboard. We also recommend the best keyboard to use for MMO, MOBA, and RPG games.
What Should You Look for in a Gaming Keyboard?
So, you’ve started gaming, and you love the experience. You’re now looking to buy a keyboard that makes your gaming experience more wholesome than ever. These are some things to look out for:
Key Switch Types
If you’re only used to key switches you use for typing and doing regular activities, you should know that you’re looking for something very different from those. Mechanical switches are used to make gaming keyboards as opposed to membrane switches used for regular keyboards.
When you press the membrane switch, electric currents are triggered. On the other hand, mechanical switches are actuated by spring-loaded switches. This ensures that the keyboard can register more than one keystroke simultaneously.
Mechanical switches usually also mean that your keyboard lasts longer than usual. The more quality the switch you buy, the longer your keyboard lasts and the longer you can game.
The best part of mechanical switches is that they come in different types of actuation. So you can choose the one with the actuation that suits you. If you would prefer a switch that requires little force to actuate, you have choices. If you’d rather have one that needs more force to bottom out, you can also find switches to suit you. You have a range of options open to you – clicky ones that give off a slight bump when they bottom out, quiet ones, etc.
Most keyboards come in three sizes. This includes the full-size keyboards (with 107 keys), the Tenkeyless or 80 percent keyboard (with 87 keys), and 60 percent (with 68 keys). You can choose whatever keyboard is the best for you. For example, if you have a small space, you can go for the 60 percent keyboard, but you can get the full-size if your gaming space is large enough and use the numpad.
Some more keyboard sizes are less common than others, but you can find them if you search in the right places. This includes the 75%, 65%, and 40% keys. If you play MOBA and RTS games, you might want to use a full-size keyboard as you would need as many keys as you can get.
The Tenkeyless keyboard is smaller than the full-size keyboard. It usually does not have the number keys. So, if you’re playing games where you do not need the number input, this should be your go-to.
Finally, the much smaller 60 percent keyboards are the tinier versions. Keys are tightly packed to ensure that there’s enough room for all the keys. While you might think that a small keyboard makes it hard to game, it is one of the best options for gamers.
This is because there is a shorter distance for your fingers to travel to hit the keys you want to press.
Many keyboards also come with extra features that could make your gaming experience even more fun. For example, many keyboards come with extra keys. This might seem like they don’t have any use at first glance, but you should take them as part of your armory.
Extra keys on a gaming keyboard can help you do many things like programming function keys for quicker commands and using them to get ahead of your opponent. You can access menus, pause, play, and stop your game.
If you’ve always loved dark keyboard setups with RGB lights, you’re in for a treat with gaming keyboards. Many of these keyboards come with full RGB lit keyboards that help you see the keyboards if you’re gaming at night or in a low light condition.
Some of them even have programmable lights so you can figure out what keys to press, just by the glow of the lights. If you choose to have no lights, there are options without the RGB backlights. So, gaming keyboards make room for a whole new world of a mostly customizable experience for you.
You could also purchase a gaming keyboard that allows you to record and save multiple profiles. This way, you don’t always have to change the key layout when switching from one game to another.
What’s the Difference Between MMO, MMORPG, and MOBA Games?
Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) games usually have hundreds or thousands of players on the same server. So, you can play with other players on a large scale on MMOs and even interact with them while playing.
MMOs include role-playing games, turn-based strategy games, simulations, sports, racing, and casual games.
Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) are the most common types of MMOs. They are role-playing games that allow more than 100 people to play online at a time. Some of the MMORPGs you may be familiar with include World of Warcraft and Guild Wars.
Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) games are usually based around matches in battle in an arena rather than open worlds. There are usually two teams of players who compete against each other in battles. League of Legends and DOTA are good examples of MOBA games.
Nine MOBA, RPG, and MMO Keyboards You Should Consider
Considering buying a great gaming keyboard? Here are our top nine recommendations. We have compiled them below so you can make the best buying decisions.
Razer Blackwidow V3 TKL
This keyboard is one of the best gaming keyboards you can find. If you are familiar with the Razer BlackWidow V3 Pro, this version is its wired version.
It has excellent ergonomics that ensure you can game for hours on end without feeling wrist fatigue. The features that contribute to this are its incline settings and its wrist rest. As many keyboards do not come with their wrist rests, this is an option you should be seriously considering.
Ergonomics is not the only thing the Razer Blackwidow V3 TKL has going for it. It also has a full and customizable RGB backlighting. This ensures that you can see your keyboard in the most dimly lit rooms.
As for the switches, you’re in for a great ride as they have a very low operation force and a short pre-travel distance.
However, if you’d prefer clicky switches, you could get the clicky Razer Green switches version of the keyboard. If you like the full-sized version, you can also purchase the Razer BlackWidow V3 instead, as the TKL version does not have a numpad.
When it comes to RPG games, the Razer Blackwidow V3TKL has N-key rollover that will help multiple keys register at the same time.
- Signature Mechanical Switch for Gaming: Razer Green switch technology provides a satisfying clicky sound with 50 G of actuation force, ideal for typing and gaming requiring the highest accuracy
- Ultimate Personalization & Gaming Immersion with Razer Chroma: Fully syncs with popular games, Razer hardware, Philips Hue, and gear from 30+ partners; supports 16.8 million colors on individually backlit keys
- Compact form factor: The tenkeyless design allows for easier positioning to get your setup just right, and is ideal for gamers who prefer a minimalist desktop
- Fully Programmable Macros: Razer Hypershift allows for all keys and keypress combinations to be remapped to execute complex commands
- Durable Construction: Supports up to 80 million clicks; made of military-grade metal top plate
Logitech G915 TKL
They say, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” but it’s hard not to in the case of the Logitech G915 TKL keyboard because it sure does look good — if aluminum alloy flesh is your type. This keyboard does not look like your regular gaming keyboard. Instead, it is sleek from deck to switches and keycaps.
The best part of it is that it’s excellent on the inside too. This keyboard has many things going for it. It is ideal for gaming with its wireless multi-device connectivity, fantastic tactile feedback, and great battery life.
The makers throw in a bunch of extra features that make this keyboard almost irresistible. It has Bluetooth and game mode. It also has RGB backlighting that serves the dual purpose of making your gaming station look lit and helps you find your keys when it’s dark.
With its onboard memory, you can save up to three profiles, making switching between MMO games easier for you. All of these features contribute to the high price of the Logitech keyboard. You would spend about $230 on the keyboard, but you’d be guaranteed value for your money.
- LIGHTSPEED wireless delivers pro-grade performance with flexibility and freedom from cords. Creates a clean aesthetic for battlestations. Delivers 40 hours on a single full charge.
- LIGHTSYNC technology provides RGB lighting that synchronizes lighting with any content. Personalize each key or create custom animations from ~16.8M colors with Logitech G HUB software.
- Low Profile mechanical switches offers the speed, accuracy and performance of a mechanical switch at half the height The GL Clicky switch features a distinctive sound and tactile feedback. Comes in 3 options: GL Tactile, GL Linear or GL Clicky.
- Tenkeyless design provides more room for mouse movement. Store the USB receiver in the back of the keyboard for additional portability.
- Beautifully crafted, the G915 TKL uses aircraft-grade aluminum alloy to deliver incredibly thin but rigid and durable design.
Das Keyboard X50Q RGB
The Das Keyboard X50Q brings a combination of great design and functionality to the table.
The keyboard has a distinct appearance that makes it stand out among other keyboards. It is solidly built with a keyboard made of Gamma Zulu switches with an anodized black aluminum finish, with Gamma Zulu mechanical key switches.
If you’re worried that this is another TKL, you can stop worrying now; the Das Keyboards X50Q is a full-size keyboard that even has extra dedicated media keys to help you raise or reduce the volume of the sound when you’re typing or gaming,
It includes a braided USB cable that’s as long as six and a half feet. This means you can position your keyboard almost anywhere you would like. That’s not all, though. This keyboard can take up to as many as 100 million uses.
This ensures that no matter how busy you are gaming, this keyboard can support your needs.
- MADE FOR MASTER PROFESSIONALS AND MASTER GAMERS - Essential productivity tool that keeps professionals focused on creativity and operating at the highest level of concentration. No more unwanted interruptions. Instead of relying on snooze-able, momentary alerts from different devices, the X50Q displays notifications in color directly on its RGB keys. Named best crossover (work/ play) keyboard by Mashable.
- FULLY PROGRAMMABLE RGB KEYS- If your website is down or you have been assigned a new task, or if the software build fails, the Das Keyboard X50Q will let you know by changing colors on the keys. Want to know when your favorite Twitch user is online? No problem, the X50Q can do that. Enhanced brightness and modern switch design, the X50Q delivers the super bright and intense RGB color settings. It’s 2 times brighter with 16.8 million colors.
- UP TO 100 MILLION KEYSTROKES - The X50Q sports the fastest and most reliable mechanical Gamma Zulu soft tactile switches, giving your new mechanical keyboard life up to 100 million keystrokes.. You rely on twitch reflexes and split-second decision making and the X50Q will be your weapon to win. Game on!
- FULL N-KEY ROLLOVER - Fast typists, productive professionals and gamers will appreciate that Das Keyboard X50Q mechanical keyboard supports full NKRO over USB. No need to use a PS2 adapter anymore. Full n-key rollover (NKRO) scans each button press individually - every key press is recorded, even if you press a bunch of keys simultaneously. Plus anti-ghosting.
- PRE-BUILT Q APPLETS AND MORE - The Q Software uses downloadable applets from Q marketplace to light up the X50Q smart keyboard with user-defined notifications—all color-coded and displayed right on the keyboard. Ergonomic detachable wrist rest has a comfortable soft touch surface to help typists rest their wrist comfortably. Included WASD gaming textured WASD keycap upgrade kit gives your most important keys a look and tactile feel that will give you a tactical advantage.
HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
This keyboard will deliver to you one of the best gaming experiences you have ever had. Try out any of your favorite MOBA, RPG, and MMO games and see how smooth the gaming experience can be. The keys are responsive and accurate, allowing you to make quick, measured moves in time for you to win.
It also has RGB backlighting for your keyboard; this adds an aesthetic edge to an already beautifully designed keyboard. With its Alloy Cherry MX keys and swappable keycaps, you do not have much of a problem with its switches. For ergonomics, it also has a small detachable wrist rest, which makes gaming easier for you.
In addition, the HyperX alloy Elite RGB keyboard has customizable RGB backlights and dedicated media controls. All of this comes together to make your gaming experience easier.
- HyperX Pudding Keycaps: Pre-installed translucent ABS pudding keycaps provide more brilliance compared to solid-color keycaps.
- HyperX Mechanical switches: These reliable key switches are a balance of responsiveness and accuracy, with a short travel time and actuation distance. They feature an exposed LED for brighter, more luminous RGB lighting.
- Signature light bar & dynamic RGB lighting effects: The signature HyperX light bar and vibrant lighting effects form a truly dazzling display.
- Dedicated media keys and large volume wheel: Have control at your fingertips with a prominent volume wheel and dedicated keys for media, profiles, and Game Mode.
- Solid steel frame: The solid steel frame provides durability and the sturdy weight of the keyboard helps prevent slippage when the action heats up.
Steelseries Apex Pro
This keyboard is an excellent choice for gamers and professionals alike. With settings, you can decide to change how long it takes for you to input a keystroke. This way, if you are more comfortable with less actuation force then, you can adjust to fit your preference.
If you would prefer it the other way round also, you can reprogram it very simply.
It comes with a magnetic wrist rest. This ensures that your hands can rest while gaming. With its dedicated media keys, you could ensure that music can stop or start when you want it to or increase and reduce when you’re gaming.
- OmniPoint adjustable switches: Allow for customization of actuation distance from 0.4 to 3.6 millimeter
- OLED smart display: An integrated command center for adjusting settings and tracking on the fly info straight from your game, spotify, discord, and more
- Aircraft grade aluminum alloy: Built for a lifetime of durability and stability
- RGB Illumination: Unmatched customization with 16.8 million colors per key
- Premium magnetic wrist rest: Provides full palm support and comfortable, ergonomic feel
Corsair K100 RGB
This is a gaming keyboard that you’ll love using. It has a sturdy feel to it that makes you comfortable about using it during intense gaming. The detachable padded wrist rest also ensures that you can game comfortably every time you want to.
This keyboard also has fully customizable RGB backlighting. When connected with the Corsair iCUE software, you can customize the backlight and set any macros key you want. If you’re looking for extra features such as media control keys and a volume control wheel, this keyboard has it all.
You could also decide to use the regular Cherry MX Speed switches on this keyboard or go on brand and buy the Corsair OPX linear switches.
- The Corsair K100 RGB is the pinnacle of Corsair keyboards, offering the cutting-edge performance, style, durability, and customization that gamers need to stand above the rest
- The centerpiece of your gaming setup, the Corsair K100 RGB boasts a refined design bolstered by a durable aluminum frame, dynamic per-key RGB backlighting, and a 44-zone three-sided LightEdge
- Powered by Corsair AXON Hyper-Processing Technology, enabling Corsair’s most advanced gaming keyboard experience by delivering up to 4x faster throughput with native 4,000Hz hyper-polling and 4,000Hz key scanning, while simultaneously driving up to 20-layer lighting effects
- A programmable iCUE control wheel gives you command over backlighting, media jogging, and more through Corsair iCUE software, customizable to perform actions in games and applications
- English (Publication Language)
The GMMK Pro is a 75% size keyboard that has a number of extra features. Its Unique Selling Point is the fact that it is customizable. So, if you are looking to build your mechanical keyboard, this is something you should be looking at purchasing. It is an excellent keyboard for general usage, programming, and typing.
While the manufacturers did not explicitly design this for gaming, it still delivers a superior gaming experience.
The GMMK Pro keyboard comes with a power cable, a plastic cap puller, a metal switch puller, and comes as a barebones keyboard. You would need to purchase your switches for this keyboard.
One thing the GMMK Pro has going for it is its above-par build quality. Some people have referred to this keyboard as built like a ‘war tank,’ which is not far from the truth. It has a full aluminum frame, with an option of an aluminum, brass, or polycarbonate plate.
- Award-Winning Design - Voted by the mechanical keyboard community as one of Reddit’s favorite custom keyboard. The GMMK PRO Barebones is a hotswappable, gasket-mounted 75% layout keyboard with a knob. It includes two layers of sound dampening foam between the PCB and switch plate, as well as underneath.
- Glorious Care: Our products receive an additional year of guarantee, on top of the one that already comes included, when you register your product on the Glorious website. All electronic devices come with included 2 Year Limited Manufacturer Guarantee. For non-electronic devices, they have included 1 Year Guarantee. That being said, within 30 days of delivery, you can reach out to Amazon for their 30-day return policy. If you are outside this time, you can reach out to Glorious Gaming.
- Compatibility: The GMMK 2 is compatible with Windows, Mac iOS, Linux, PS4, and Xbox. USB-A port is necessary to connect the device. Glorious mechanical keyboards are compatible with any gaming mouse including Logitech PRO, Razer Mamba Elite, SteelSeries, Corsair, ASUS ROG, Microsoft Ergonomic, and more.
- Ultimate Custom Build - Since the board comes with no keycaps nor switches, you are free to pick your preference. Combine the Barebones board with the Glorious switch tester sample pack to discover if you prefer silent linear, clicky, or tactile switches. Pair with a colorful USB-C coiled cable, top mounting plate frame, and other PC gaming setup accessories.
- For professional gamers and keyboard enthusiasts, whether you prefer “thocky” (thocc) or “clacky” sound, the GMMK PRO Barebones is ideal for customizing and modding. The compact board has all the essential keys, including the arrow keys, and the volume can be adjusted with its knob. To further enhance its sound, swap the factory-issued stabilizers with the GSV2 stabs for premium acoustics.
Obinslab Anne Pro 2
If you’re looking for a small gaming keyboard to fit your space, this is one you should consider. The Obinslab Anne Pro 2 is a fantastic 60% compact gaming keyboard that looks sleek and delivers a great gaming experience.
It has all the works in terms of features. These include full RGB backlighting with individually-lit keys, which are macro-programmable. You can also choose a variety of switch options to use on this keyboard.
That’s a good thing because you can install switches that you’re already comfortable using when purchasing the Obinslab Pro 2. The keyboard does not have many negative sides to it except for its ergonomics. Unlike some of the other keyboards we have outlined, the Obinslab Pro 2 has no incline settings.
It also has no wrist rest, which means you could sometimes sustain fatigue from gaming. While the small keyboard implies that some keys are missing, it could also mean that you have a more compact keyboard that helps you hit whatever keys you want more quickly.
- Minimalistic design doing more with less. Requires less hand movement while still being able to access all the functionalities.
- Compact and Portable . It saves desk space and easy to carry around. Fits right in backpack. Perfect for home, work and on the go.
- Decent bluetooth connectivity enables wireless connection up to 4 devices and switch seamlessly back and forth.
- Revamped obinskit starter software simplifies the way to set up your own key layout, lighting and to create macros.
- The “Magic Fn” on the Caps Lock button makes it easier to utilize the F1-F12 keys while gaming.
The G.Skill KM360 Keyboard is your go-to budget mechanical keyboard. It is a tenkeyless keyboard, meaning it is missing a numpad. Instead, it has white LED backlighting with different levels. This helps to upgrade the basic design of the keyboard to something a little more.
Cherry MX Red Switches are used with this keyboard. This creates a linear feel when typing, programming, or gaming. While the keyboard is not exactly a gaming keyboard, it has gained some popularity among gamers because of the Cherry MX Red switches.
This keyboard does not have RGB backlighting, but it has LED lighting that does not look bad. Overall, the G.Skill KM360 is a brand name keyboard that gives you most of what you need without costing too much.
- CHERRY MX - Most popular mechanical keyswitch for their high standards of quality, reliability, and durability; rated for over 50 million keypresses.
- COMPACT & PORTABLE - Designed with a detachable USB Type-C cable and a tenkeyless layout for more desk space and great portability.
- WEAR-PROOF KEYS - Using ABS dual-injection keycaps mean the keys won't wear out like printed or laser etched keycaps.
- HIGH DURABILITY - Constructed with a solid aluminum top plate and floating keyswitches for easy cleaning.
- MODERN DESIGN - Featuring ergonomic keys, white LED backlight, and n-key rollover for comfort and ease of use.
Part of the fun of gaming whether it’s a MMORPG, MOBA, or other game is having the right tools to use. A superb keyboard is one of those tools. We have explored how to spot a gaming keyboard and have recommended a few for you to choose from. Type on!